Anonymous said: Hello! Do you know any good books that are similar to Jane Eyre? Thank you :) your blog is charming.
Hi Anon! Sadly, there can only be one Jane Eyre, so you may not find this list highly beneficial. But here is my attempt at giving you the best recommendations I can.
Books with similar plot:
1. Jane by April Lindner. This is apparently a modern take on Jane Eyre geared towards younger girls. It gets 4/5 stars on Amazon, though I don’t personally know how good it is.
2. Rebecca by Daphne Du Maurier. A young woman marries a guy she barely knows, and his house may or may not be haunted by the ghost of his first dead wife. Revealed secrets and betrayals ensue. I haven’t read it yet, but it’s on my bucket list!
Victorian Era books with similar theme/mood:
3. Wuthering Heights by Emily Bronte. While I know it’s cliche to recommend another Bronte sister, this one is really worth reading. I didn’t enjoy it as much as I did Jane Eyre. It’s sadder and darker in a lot of ways, but also shares many elements with Jane Eyre. The story though is fabulous! So much angst.
4. Frankenstein by Mary Shelley. Be warned: a lot of people get bored and end up disappointed with this one. But I had to include it, because it’s such a trend-setting classic.
Mystery, Romance, Classism, etc. with a more obvious happy ending:
5. The Silent Governess by Julie Klassen. Slightly cheesy, though generally historically accurate. At times slow-paced and predictable, but has a sweet story in the end.
6. Northanger Abbey by Jane Austen. Many English teachers would technically call this one a “satire,” but I enjoyed the story on a serious level overall. Also, this was gothic romance BEFORE the Bronte sisters redefined gothic, so it’s different from Jane Eyre in many ways (i.e. Mr. Tilney is NOT at all like our Byronic hero Rochester.)
Hope this is helpful! Thanks for your ask.
i have like 609453804 books to read
but you know what i’m gonna do
i’m gonna buy more books
And then I will read fanfiction.
and then i will read books that i’ve already read